[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

schools

>Hi...I saw that you and Telford went to a neon school together , was it
>somewhere in Southern Cal ? I live in Redondo Beach and was looking
>for a class or workshop to go to ....thanks.....Chris
Hi Chris,
Hope you don't mind me answering you on the list.

At the risk of being redundant, I will let you all know about the upcoming
classes at the University of California at San Diego Craft Center. There are several
newbies and this info isn't on a web site yet(stay tuned though).
The Craft Center/Grove Gallery is a slightly independent school on the campus
of UCSD. Classes and workshops range from jewlery, ceramics,and weaving, to neon.
We hope to have a hot glass shop next fall. I help teach the beginning neon classes.
We are obviously a non-profit institution so I hope this plug is OK.
Four times a year we have Beginning Neon, Neon Independent Studies, and
Neon Studio memberships.
The beginning class covers tube bending, pattern making, history, tube processing
and installation. This is an intro class and not meant to turn out pros but you can
inexpensively find out if neon is for you and have a lot of fun doing it.
Winter classes are 9 weeks starting January 16. This gets you 1 1/2 hr per week
of lecture/demo and 1 1/2 hour guaranteed studio time with instructor (possibly me <g.> ).
The studio is generally dormant during the day, so a real eager beaver (with a lot
of time on their hands) can mangle as much glass as he (she) can afford. The
price is $101 plus materials for non-UCSD employees or graduates. So, if
you are interested in becoming a 10mm wonder, call the following for a brochure:

UCSD Crafts Center
UCSD
LaJolla, CA.	92093-0338

619-534-2021