[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lead free glass gets test

Dave was kind enough to send me a sample of the lead free stuff as well.

I didn't save a copy of my evaluation, but to summarize briefly:

I would describe much as Tom did - it has a very slightly higher
softening temperture.  Finsihed (cool) units also feel stiffer, with less
flex in a long unit.

You can add gas to your hearts content - it will not blacken.  I found
that a slighly richer flame more than makes up the temp difference.  It
essentially works the same, and I made a flawless letter with the first
peice I picked up. It seals perfectly to lead glass, with no strain
evident under a polariscope.  I placed several bends back into a sharp
flame, and there was no fracture.

The only drawback I could imagine is that it has a tiny bit of sodium
flare.  Not as much as the colored glasses, so if you work these without
dydymium specs you'll not need them.

    -John Anderson