[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hello

At 11:42 AM 1/21/96 -0500, Neonmc@aol.com wrote:
>Paul, two quick recomendations first get in touch with Jake Fishman who can
>sell you a copy of Neon Techniques and Handling.  You will at least be able
>to read about what it takes to make neon. You should also try to find someone
>on the list to let you in their shop and watch for a while.  Last, at least
>in this area, beer signs are going (at least for the more common ones) for
>about 50$. Good luck. Morgan

        Another quick note, from a newbie who's probably only about 3
feet ahead of you at this point: The (fairly) new book by Dean and
Michael Blazek has been *extremely* helpful to me in getting to the
point where I'm ready to build the bending half of my shop.  I highly
recommend it.

        Blazek, Dean and Michael, Neon: The Next Generation
        ST publications, 1995.  ISBN:0-944094-07-4

        If you can't find it anywhere else (I couldn't) you can order
it directly from ST publications at (513) 421-2050.  If I remember
correctly it was somewhere around $38.  The cool thing about this
book is that it deals with technology as it appears to be used today,
as well as talking about how "it's always been done".  The book isn't
perfect, IMHO, but definitely worth the money.

        The other suggestion about visiting shops is definitely
important.  I've spent 6 months doing that and I've learned a bunch
of important stuff.  That, combined with the help of this list, and
I'm ready to take the first step (i.e., spend the first wad of cash.. 8^)=  )

| My aunt said spaceship guard was a good career         | Al Hooton          |
| for a young Vogon -- you know, the uniform, the        |                    |
| low-slung stun ray holster, the mindless tedium...     | al@teleport.com    |
|                                                        | 503.591.7324 voice |
|     "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Douglas Adams  | 503.591.7955 fax   |