[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Plant - Economics

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Mike R. wrote:

> Well...This should generate some discussion...(and advice I hope)...
>
> I am a artist, primarily working in Glass, fused, Blown (furnace work)
> and lampworking.  I'm looking at getting a one-man (one-station?) neon
> plant for my basement studio.  I'm getting some small help from a local
> tube bender (mostly bending) but would like to discuss the economics of
> owning a neon plant for my situation.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking:
>
>      1.)  I'll produce and sell my neon art pieces.  Any artists out there
>           know that the income generated there is either real good or none
>           at all.  This is mainly based on wheather your art is considered
>           "arty" enough for the collectors to buy.

This sounds like a good extension of what you already do. Go for it!

>      2.)  I'll produce some wholesale work on a part-time basis to both
>           defray the cost of the plant and to develope income to support
>           my indulgences in art.

Wholesale work is a hard way to go. Why not sell retail, the same work
for twice the price.  Even at retail once you start production you
probably wont have time for art.  This happened to me. I had a very
successful production studio, selling 1/4KK/yr.  I thought that my six
employees could manage and I could work on my art at least one day per
week.  I was wrong, I didn't even get one day per month.  When I
discovered that the business was really running me, I pulled the plug.
Now I am back to the one person studio and making art.  My personal gross
and satisfaction has grown.

>      3.)  I'll develope a line of "production" decorative or functional
>           (signs) pieces that I will sell retail and wholesale.  This will
>           also be a "part-time" effort to support my art

I suppose it may work, if you like golden handcuffs.

> Ok....I'm whide open so start "shooting" at these ideas (or suggest your's).
> Let's talk economics here too (you guys & gals that are actually selling
> your work just go ahead and have a field day here!).

Field Day is the third weekend in June.

> I'd really appreciate your comments, advice and discussion on this matter.

No Problem.

> Also, has anyone bought and used one of those "all-in-one" pre packaged
> neon plants like Victory sells?

             !!!!! AVOID THIS PURVEYOR AT ALL COSTS !!!!!

> /\/\ike

I like the twin peaks /\/\

Jacob