[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neon Plant - Economics

Well...This should generate some discussion...(and advice I hope)...

I am a artist, primarily working in Glass, fused, Blown (furnace work)
and lampworking.  I'm looking at getting a one-man (one-station?) neon
plant for my basement studio.  I'm getting some small help from a local
tube bender (mostly bending) but would like to discuss the economics of
owning a neon plant for my situation.

Here's what I'm thinking:

     1.)  I'll produce and sell my neon art pieces.  Any artists out there
          know that the income generated there is either real good or none
          at all.  This is mainly based on wheather your art is considered
          "arty" enough for the collectors to buy.

     2.)  I'll produce some wholesale work on a part-time basis to both
          defray the cost of the plant and to develope income to support
          my indulgences in art.

     3.)  I'll develope a line of "production" decorative or functional
          (signs) pieces that I will sell retail and wholesale.  This will
          also be a "part-time" effort to support my art.

Ok....I'm whide open so start "shooting" at these ideas (or suggest your's).
Let's talk economics here too (you guys & gals that are actually selling
your work just go ahead and have a field day here!).

I'd really appreciate your comments, advice and discussion on this matter.

Also, has anyone bought and used one of those "all-in-one" pre packaged
neon plants like Victory sells?

/\/\ike