[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: small tube filling pressures

(Re explanation of tube filling pressures for small and large tubes on same
circuit, with explanation of why shorter tubes should be filled to look like
longer tubes).
Very good, Dirk, this is excellent, and I have finally understood something
important I really have never thought about. I am grateful to you for this
explanation..
One interesting point this may lead to, however, is this. How, then should
one adjust the transformer loading to compensate for the 1 foot tube that
"looks" like a 4 foot tube? In our manufacturer's tables, we are not advised
to do anything about that. This would definitely lead to "overloading"
(Voltage) of the transformer since there would seem to be more footage on the
transformer than measured physically.(One more reason to be "conservative" in
rating transformers higher than manufacturer's suggestions, as I have
suggested before). I have always used 1 foot per electrode instead of 1 foot
per electrode pair as manufacturers have told me to estimate, since this
always gives me a "quiet" circuit" which is one of my extra-sensory methods
of assuring me good neon circuit performance.
Jeff Golin