[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pressure adjustments for smaller tub

 >> When I first became involved with neon, snaking fascinated me as an
 artistic effect (still does). I asked anyone in the field I could
 find, how the effect is achieved and only got advice on how it could
 be avoided. <<

 The 'old timers' used to sell all kinds of things for that. One told me that
you have to soak the electrodes in beer overnight. Very scientific! Another
had these special ceramic gear-like inserts he swore by. As the old Vaudeville
guys say "I've heard 'em all".

 >> I'm not sure what you mean by factoring long vs. short tubes. This version
does essentially the same thing as a standard chart (with both its advantages
and disadvantages).<<

 This is a reference to the discussion on the need to change pressure to fit
abnormally long or short tubes. I thought there would be a way to factor that
in if one enters a tube that is not within standard length parameters.
Something to ponder....hmmm.

 >> These ions are therefore trapped in the column, and the result is direct
heating of the gas by metastable de-exitation caused by collisions in the
intervening space. This heat is channeled into convection currents, or if
intense enough, into turbulent vortexes. This causes the snaking or pinwheels
which we see.in a curing tube. Jeff <<

 Like I said "weather". This usually satisfies the curious. If I give someone
an explanation like you did my wife will give me hell for talking over her
friends heads <g>. Problem is, they nod their heads like they are following
along the whole time. Reminds me of a little game I play with know it all
visiting audio-types. Seems that sound reinforcement has an inordinate number
of egotistic know it alls for whatever reason. I have one of those
reproductions of a Star Trek tricorder that my brother Chris gave me. I go up
to various pieces of equipment and take "readings" from wires, etc. with that
toy. It really looks like a sophisticated new type of meter that they never
saw before. It drives them crazy. All they have to do is ask... but they
won't.

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 09-Apr-1996

!^NavFont01F0004HM7A4754