[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: manifolds

Don,

When I started out in this business, I built my own manifold. This was the
way I had been taught by my mentor. His manifold was all lead glass. Every
time it would break or develop a leak, he would drown it with silicone. It
looked like one huge glob of silicone -- you could hardly see any glass.
Remarkably, it seemed to work, although I personally would be hesitant to
purchase any neon pumped on this system.

As I started on my own, I decided to build a better manifold. I was
absolutely determined to use no silicone on my system. I spent many, many
hours working on my manifold (due in part to my limited glassworking skills
-- I had been bending about six months). Bear in mind -- this was before
pyrex manifolds, metal manifolds, greaseless stopcocks, and the like were
widely available. Even if I had been aware of them, I didn't have the money
to purchase one. Anyway, I finally succeeded in building a manifold which
worked satisfactorily. Over the next three years, I spent almost as much time
cleaning, maintaining, and repairing that manifold as I did bending glass. It
was very much a false economy.

At that point, I went to work for another company, one which had a pyrex
manifold -- greaseless stopcocks, diffusion pump, the works. It was a
prototype designed and manufactured by Mark Snyder of Precision Neon
Laboratories. I disliked it at first. It seemed overly fragile and a little
quirky. It took some getting used to. Initially, I was a little heavy-handed
with it -- overtightening of the stopcocks caused it to break on two separate
occasions over a two year period. Eventually, however, I grew to appreciate
this manifold, even to like it.

When I decided to reopen my shop, I bit the bullet and bought a new manifold
from Precision Neon Laboratories. Mark had come up with a new, simpler
design, one which was a little smaller, less expensive, yet left room for
expansion. Three years and many thousands of neon units later, I couldn't
possibly be happier with my purchase. my manifold has given me no problems
whatsoever. It's fairly simple to set up, very easy to use, and requires
virtually no maintenance. It has been the best investment I've ever made in
my business.

I know that Transco makes a similar product, one which is probably just as
good as the one from Precision (Mark's was the original), although I have no
personal experience with their product. I am fortunate enough to be located
in the same town as both these companies, and have found both to be very
helpful and informative.

I have no experience with metal manifolds, and so am unable to comment on
them at this time. I hope this information has been of some help. I would be
happy to answer any questions I can, or put you in touch with either of these
companies, if you'd like.

Ronnie Downs
Cessna6T@aol.com
The Neon Guys