[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Diffusion confusion (was Re: JEOL Vacuum pumps)

At 03:42 PM 4/6/1996 +0100, marcus@ttphysik.uni-duisburg.de wrote:

>>         Has anybody on the list got any experience with vacuum pumps
>> manufactured by a place called Japan Electronoptics?

>Dear Al,
>I am using one from Japan Electron Optics Ltd. ,

        Marcus, thanks for the info on the vacuum pump.  I am now
the owner of a JEOL 2-stage 75 lpm mechanical pump...

        ...and, a stainless steel metal diffusion pump manufactured
by Consolidated Vacuum Corporation, model VMF-10.  This diffusion
pump appears to be *identical* to one pictured on page 60 of the
Blazek book "Neon: the Next Generation", except the fittings on
the intake/exhaust are different.

        NOW for the dumb question: I can't figure out which side is
the intake (to be hooked to the manifold) and which the exhaust (to be
hooked to the mechanical pump).  I understand how diffusion pumps work,
but I can't take this one apart far enough to see where the jets are.
I'm guessing they're in the taller of the two 'stacks' on top of the
diffusion pump, thus that's the intake side.  Who knows the answer
to this for sure?

        Also, I need to soak this will solvent to make sure it's
clean before I fill it with new oil -- any suggestions?

        Thanks!

| I'm gonna be a computer operator... I got the idea   | Al Hooton        |
| from this here matchbook cover.  "Earn $7,000/yr,    |                  |
| impress your friends, MEET GIRLS!"                   | al@teleport.com  |
|                                                      | 503.591.7324 vox |
|     Mark from "Doonesbury", ca. 1973                 | 503.591.7955 fax |