[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Crackle tubes

--
You basically have the technique there.
It is best to keep the glass tube pieces or beads away from the trodes.

You don't need two days to pump down. You will have to experiment but a
couple of hours should do it. You then need to use an induction coil
to heat the electrodes.

The coolest one I've seen was a 3foot cylinder about 4"-5" in diameter.
The walls of the cylinder were hollow and filled with shards of
phosphored glass. The glass was pyrex and was obviously done be a
lab glass worker. I cant remember the artist this morning for some
reason but he is the guy that does all the airport "neon" like Chicago's
O'hare. He mostly uses fiber optics that just look like glass.

You can get cheap glass beads at Michaels craft store. If you use beads
you get nice tight packing and therefore "fast short" crackling. Tubulation
glass on the otherhand gives more predictable but longer light streaks.

You might try the beads but after washing add some phosphor...mmmh I may
have to try that.

--- Frank Varnell
--- Senior Software Engineer
--- XLNT Designs Inc. (XDI)