[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Crackle tubes

chris morley wrote:

> Hi all .....I was up in Hollywood on Saturday. There is a shop on
> -trendy- Melrose that does neon. They had made an interesting tube.
> It was a 3 inch diameter tube , capped at the ends by clear tube.
> the 3 inch tube was filled with glass pellets.
> It was great because the spark had millions of paths from end to end.
> The shop owner said that he had seen them built in 5-6 inch tubes.
> Dont know how they bomb it !
>
> How this gives the Mad Scientist crowd something to play with.....
>
> See ya...Chris

You got it Chris.  I have a feeling that if I want to entertain making a few
of these things then I will have to get myself a kiln and prop it up right
next to the manifold.  I suppose I need to get it to 300C and let it sit and
pump for a few days.  One day to heat it up and another to cool it down.  I
wonder if I am on the right track?  Also did you happen to notice if the
glass pellets were 5mm tubing and how close to the electrodes was it filled?
I tried it several months ago and found myself melting some of the tubulation
 too.
Howie Cohen