[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Broken ruby red (late reply)

Dave, I'll update you a bit on this story...

The supplier (in Dallas) shipped me a partial-case of Tecnolux Ruby under
the condition that I accept responsibility for damage.  My condition to
them was that is be "packed very, very good."

It arrived stuffed into a 4" mailing tube with about 1/4" of foam-plastic
around the bundle of  sticks.  I refused the shipment, which sounded like
a broken wind chime when flipped.  I felt they had not lived up to their
end of the agreement.

There's a happy ending:  they accepted responsibility and have now
shipped several bundles without so much as a chip.  I appreciated their
accountability, but it seems a weird condition so place on a shipment.  UPS
told me they indeed will pay for damage to glass tubing as long as it was
packed with 4-6" of insulation around all sides."  They also said that
all shipments (properly packed) were automatically covered up to $100.
Addional insurance is obtainable at a reasonable price (if properly
packed).  They pointed out that UPS ships thousands of 8' flourescent
tubes daily with negligible breakage.

     -John Anderson