[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neon contractor licensing

> (Though last month the Maui County Council, in their infinite wisdom,
> decided to immediately adopt strict licensing requirements for all sign
> shops, such that one can't get even get a sign permit without a Contractor's
> License. A Contractor's License is a big deal here -- figure $800 and four
> months if you're lucky -- and they put the legit folks there out of
> business. The only company on that island with such a "Sign Contractor's
> License" is, get this -- an electrician. And we know how much THEY know
> about neon installation!)

This is an interesting issue.  I have operated neon shops in two cities -
Dallas and Austin.  In both cases, they "require" a sign contractors
license to install electrical signs.  In Dallas, they required a hefty
yearly fee (500 or so) and 600,000 liability.  Austin takes 200/yr plus
1,000,000 liability.  Both also require the same amounts of vehicle
liability.  Once a "sign contractor" you still have to pay 100 for EACH
nothing about neon) come out for 5 minutes apermit.  The inspectors know
nothing about neon, and usually just sign a piece of paper and walk away.

This situation has spawned many effects (and I'd be curious if Maui
follows suit).  First is that most electric signs go up without permits.
Here in Austin, only a couple of sign companies with very high volume have
such licenses, and they make up some of the difference by "pulling"
permits for those that don't.  Electric sign permits here are rarely
enforced, and even the bigest companies only get one if the customer
demands it (and is willing to pay the extra $100).

It's a screwed up system.  Local Authorities are licensing "who" puts
stuff up, not "what" gets put up!

         -John Anderson