[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ted's job from hell

> Had me one of them late-night down-at-the-mall ordeals last night -- this
> one was one of those turns-to-dung-right-before-your-eyes jobs.

Ted,

Sorry to hear of this.  I seem to always run into unpleasant surprises
when I crawl above a suspended ceiling.

My recommedation:  politely but firmly show your customer that the job was
not installed correctly, and you cannot in good concience re-install it as
was.  You might even say you'll re-install the sign body on the face of
the store, but the electrical & neon stuff no.  Though he'll undoubtedly
give you the "it worked fine before" speil, in the end it lends
credibility to yourself by insisting it be done properly.

The broken neon?  It's always amazed me how quickly fingers point the
other way when glasswork breaks ( "...it broke right on the bend!")

My favorite story is a customer I had made a name for in neon.  He claimed
he was outside in his yard, heard a loud "POW!" and a bright flash of
light - went inside and the neon was broken (right on a bend, of course).
The acrylic frame had a big ding in it and the transfomer checked out
fine.

One last comment - You may have different experience on this, but I rarely
see customers with "more work down the road" again.  And I do lots of
repeat business, with 99% very happy and recommdending me to others.  Just
a thought.

      -John Anderson