[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bombarder sizes

>The people who make electrodes give very specific ranges of pressures to
>process thier specific electrodes on.  If you have too small of a bombarder
>you will be forced to continue to pull the vacuum down to maintain the arc
>stream.  You are then not following the mfgs. instructions.  If you are a
>ChemE you get some slack here.  Otherwise follow the instructions or you'll
>end up in trouble.  What this means in real life is you can't just think of
>your vacuun pumps as being the heart of your system, the strength of the
>bombarder is extreamly important.  If you want to have control over tubes in
>the 8 foot or larger range buy a 15kVa.

I'm a bit confused about this.  My bomber is 10 KVA, with a 20kv secondary.
Indeed I often reduce the pressure lower than I want - to maintain the arc
with multiple high-footage units.  But would not the bomber's _voltage_ be
more important here than the KVA rating?  Even with long units, I usually
have a decent amount of headroom on my choke when pushing 500ma.

Tell me if this assumption is wrong: say you had another bomber - a 15kva
with a 20kv secondary.  Would it not have the same arc-striking performance
as my own, only with more MA capacity?

Someone (Kenny, Ted?) described a system of switches for doubling up the
voltage on the bomber's primary - making the secondary 2x the normal
voltage (with 1/2 the milliamps, of course).  I've thought about doubling
up, but the thought of 40 kv is a little scary, and I would want to
engineer-in more safety first.

    -John