[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: whatever floats your secondary

>John asks "I still ask the question:  why not place a ground ahead of the
>main cock
>and circumvent this problem altogether?" Try this. With no grounding
>electrode, when I close my main stopcock my manifold is completely isolated
>from ground. This means I can pump just about any unit with no flashback
>worries.

Yes, but as soon as the pressure in your manifold is below 20 torr or so,
the entire path (from the neon unit right thru you manifold) can carry
current just like a neon tube.  I agree that with the stopcock closed this
path is theoretically closed off.  But open there's a big grounded vacuum
pump on the other side just waiting to complete the circuit.

 With a grounding electrode you have something in place to flashback
>to.

In my opinion, this is the point - a "safe" point from which the circuit to
ground can complete if it wants to.

I have been told that a "expert" in the field recommends a grid work of
>thin tubing to increase resistance in front of the grounding electrode. I
>feel this greatly reduces pumping speed and could be avoided by keeping
>grounded parts away or isolated with stopcocks.

I agree here too.  I once saw a shop who made a small coil out of
tubulation glass to increase resistance.  A great way to cut your pumping
speed by 10x!

I still think the design of
>the bombarding transformer plays a major role. A midpoint grounded one should
>want to flashback more than one with floating secondaries? Morgan, any
>comments? David Ablon

I guess my question really is:  what is wrong with having a ground within
the manifold?  The bomber only flashes back to it when the pressure in the
unit is not low enough.

   -John