[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Merc Tube Repair & Oven

 >> I refuse to heat anything that's had mercury in it - including used
 mercury traps. <<

 Good for you.  What do you do for those customers that want repairs done?  Or
do you do mostly new work?

 >> I've been thinking a building an annealing oven.  Would like to make it
gas-fired. <<

 I built an oven for working with the pyrex stuff I do.  It is electric fired
and I am working on a controller for it ( maybe hook it to an old computer for
grins ).  Right now I use a large variac that was in the shop when I bought
it.  It works but it is manual so I have to baby-sit the project.  I think
that gas fired will be hard to control.  I went to school at The New York
State College of Ceramics at Alfred ( whew! ) and most all annealing ovens I
have seen in use are electric.  A friend of mine worked in Murano, Italy and
they used gas fired annealers but that was a step up from coal and wood!

 As for using the oven for merc removal.  You would have to consider it a
toxic waste piece after a few of the heats.  There may be a way to adequately
vent it with some sort of traps but is the customer willing to pay the
increased costs of heating an oven for this?

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 04-Sep-1995

!^NavFont01F0004HJ908F7D