[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: blank on block out tubing

Well, if the hint fits <G>...

As for panning out commercially, look in Miller.  I believe he says
there that this was the way it was done for years.  It does have the
advantage of being permanent...

On getting the precise edge effect:
Splicing on a bend is a great way to use extra glass, squeeze that scrap
=right= in where it fits, make 48" straights, that are actually 48"
long, change colors right on a bend, lots of cool stuff.  It's a great
thing to practice.  Once you're good at it, it isn't that hard to stick
a section of glass right where you want it and make perfect edges.  A
significant number of bends I've ever made had a splice on 'em, I've
made units from fluorescent colors that people swore didn't even have
splices.

Even if the edge weren't perfect, you could just paint out that little
bit.  When the paint got old and funky the tube would look lots better
than a whole section going unblocked.

On blok-out causing more harm than mercury, I think you may be right.
Another "yum" is standing over a nice hot unit painting it out...those
lovely, heady fumes...no need to sniff glue with staz-on in the
shop...not that =I= have ever pumped a hot one and let it live <G> but
I've sure worked in shops where the boss was not about to stand for
having the pump zombie reprocess tubes that were "a little warm."  Hey,
besides, those repairs are great return business, eh?  :-Þ

BB