[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: air reg

Al Hooton wrote:

> At 09:56 AM 3/23/1996 -0500, Howard Cohen wrote:
> >Al,
> >You really need a pat on the back for that .GIF file.  That, I am sure,
> >will help all those that have been asking about regulators.  I have a
> >similar device however I built a trap door kind of thing similar to the
> >flappers that are on big diesel engines.  A few rubber bands put some
> >tension on the flapper.  It works well.  The flapper may be another way
> >to accomplish the same thing.
>
>         Thanks for the pat on the back, Howie!  A quick question: your
> approach sounds interesting, but I'm wondering about the rubber
> bands.  Do they slowly 'wear out' over time, changing the tension
> applied to the flapper?  If so, does this cause you to have to mess
> with your mixers more frequently than you'd like?
>
> |--------------------------------------------------------|--------------------|
> | My aunt said spaceship guard was a good career         | Al Hooton          |
> | for a young Vogon -- you know, the uniform, the        |                    |
> | low-slung stun ray holster, the mindless tedium...     | al@teleport.com    |
> |                                                        | 503.591.7324 voice |
> |     "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Douglas Adams  | 503.591.7955 fax   |

You would think so Al but I think over the past three years I have not
had to change the rubber bands.  I think I tightened them down a little
because the flapper was vibrating too much.  I have noticed that rubber
bands tend to harden up if they sit around.  Could it be that the slight
movement keeps them alive?  In any event, it works real well for me and
it took about 1/2 hour to put together.  BTW, I put two or three screws
on the pipe just as point to anchor the rubber bands.
Hope this helps.

Howie