[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- red turn blue...2 color tubes

I don't agree that the transformer is any more complicated than say a
flow transformer. In fact it's easier than that.  but I do agree that finding
the right pressure and amount of Hg is very tricky.

I have a unit in my shop that has been changing in the exact
locations along the tube since 1983.  It is powered by nothing more
than a home brewed mechanical cam driven neon dimmer that goes
back and forth between  high and low.  The transformer is
conventional.

On the other hand I have gone
through maddening attempts with other pieces where I have remade the
piece 3 or 4 times and finally used cooling fans to tweak the
effect.

Dave A. has one that has been around for years which works on its own
with no variable device simply by virtue of its physical design.

Bottom line. I agree with Marcus that if you want reliability, use
two tubes.  Be careful not to promise anyone that you can accomplish
and maintain this effect.

Kenny

> Dear Matt,
>
> building the transformer yourself is VERY complicated. Mainly the
> adjustment; without proer high frequency, high voltage test
> equipment absolutely impossible.
>
> But you can but such a transformer for abt. $800,-- (don't want to
> shock you, but it's true).
>
> This unit will light only two 5 foot tubes (!).
> This out of the US limitation on 15kV - the surge peak voltage you
> need to fire only the red has to be so high for the selective
> purpose.
>
> BTW: This unit is very noisy, too.
>
> It is difficult to adjust the amount of mercury and backfill with
> the right pressure of neon, which has to be done VERY accurate to
> assure the correct partial pressure ratio.
>
> Have no lifetime experience on the tubes / xfrmrs.
>
> So for standaard signwork it is always better to use two tubes with
> a standard animator.
>
> Marcus
>

> > List,
> > I know this was disccussed previously, because i have looked it up
> > on the archives, but I could not make anything from the letters,
> > because of missing info. Is there a way that i can make a red blue
> > transformer, and what is the ratio of the tube , pumping presure,
> > how much merc... ? Does it not deal with the frequency of the
> > tranformers out put, and if so can I control this via a 555 or
> > some other device?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Matt
> > Dilling@erols.Com

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web