[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: Slow Curves - multiple replies

Morgan wrote:

>when you post about the jobs you are working on I start thinking that you:1)
>work in a very variable and interesting shop; or 2)have done something evil
>in a previous life.

Change that "or" to an "and," then we have it.

Kenny wrote:

>Let it cool down sufficiently before the next heat.
>I know the standard here is usually to move on to the next bend
>before it cools, but I find I have greater control with the above
>method.  Just be careful to anneal well so that you have a smooth
>transition point between each heated section.

I thought most people suggest complete cooling before moving on.  But, I
always find I get a better transition if I don't let the glass cool
completely.  I'd say I let it cool about half-way to room temp, then go in
for the next heat.  That transition point doesn't seem to be as "resistant"
to bending this way.

Tom B. wrote:

>put some small weights (I use 2 and a half circular barbell weights) on
>the >edge of the last part of the curve that was on the pattern as a
>reference. Then >what you do is heat up the next part and simply "click"
>the tube in place >against the weight stops to find where you should be on
>the pattern.

Tom, doesn't the coolness of the metal cause quite a stress on the glass?
Sometimes even a nonspestos covered piece of wood will cause a shock and a
tiny crack.  So, I try to avoid this.  But, it works for you with metal?

Al wrote:

>How do you stack up the bricks so the tube doesn't get kinks in it
>where it slumps over the corner of a brick?  I would expect the tube to
>be "too straight" between the bricks, and then "too bent" where
>it passes over a brick, but this must not happen when you do it.
>What's the trick?

Al, I saw the results and know it works, but didn't get to see a demo.  My
guess would be getting the temp to rise slowly in the oven and to the right
temp.  I'd guess that a fast heating would give the result you're
describing.  (And for the PFFFFTTTTT, you'll have to ask Dirk...)

Thanks to all for the tips.  Minimal heating seems the key.

Tom U.