[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: Association Lite

> At trade shows I see Allanson, Bertonee, EGL, Technolux, transco, voltarc and
> more.  If this isn't the neon trade, what is?  Walking thru a mall it's hard
> to find an electric sign w/o neon.

Some are definitely better than others... no doubt.  I've had 2
experiences to the very contrary.  Both of these shows were in
Arlington, TX.

The first: I was certain there was no representative from the neon
industry in the entire show.  I was about to leave.   I finally found a
Neonix trans rep.  He too was relieved to finally find someone doing
neon.  He said I was the first one he met there actually doing
glasswork.  Others were "thinking of sticking in a neon plant."   I
spent most of my time talking to him, and he to me.

At another, the person selling tickets at the door said "Ooooo..a neon
person.  You're gonna love the big neon display inside!"  I made several
loops around the show - not seeing anything related to neon.  I went
back to ask further.  "Over there in the corner... look!"  When I made
it over there, I found she was actually talking about a Luminart
machine.  (If you don't know what these are, it's the computerized
device that ooozes out a florescent goo, much like a CNC.  A black light
makes it glow.)  It's beautiful. <g>

Hey I'm not criticizing ISA, or other sign orgs.  I like seeing people
within a trade united with a voice.  I haven't even made my own mind up
about this.  I'm only asking if this the best voice for neon?  This
industry has some unique interests, concerns, quality-control, and
safety issues not necessesarily shared by the rest of the sign industry
(or any industry).

   -JOhn