[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: Association Lite

It _is_ a bit of a dilemma choosing between going with ISA, USSC, etc
or our own organization.  It is difficult to reinvent the wheel. If we went with an
existing organization, much of what we will struggle with from an
organizational point of view will already be dealt with but....

On the other hand I'm concerned with the focus of these organizations on
megabusiness and sign systems that do not require the intense
personal involvement and crafting that goes with neon - and the issues that
concern small business and individual workers. My understanding is
that small shops make up the bulk of the neon industry. The focus purely on
signage is somewhat restrictive - but that's one I can sort of live with.

We can certainly do both of the above approaches. That is,
continue to formulate the goals and structure that would  best serve
our needs AND at the same time shop it around to the existing
organizations.

 Create an ad hoc steering committee and give the organization a
name. Use standard small organization bylaws. Proceed to formulate
goals by feedback and consensus from the membership.   Then on our
own letterhead approach the existing associations.

Kenny

> Hey I'm not criticizing ISA, or other sign orgs.  I like seeing
> people within a trade united with a voice.  I haven't even made my
> own mind up about this.  I'm only asking if this the best voice for
> neon?  This industry has some unique interests, concerns,
> quality-control, and safety issues not necessesarily shared by the
> rest of the sign industry (or any industry).
>

>    -JOhn

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web