[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: Association Lite

Tim,

My comments were not meant as a critique of whatever ISA does
specifically for neon or small business.  To me it just has not been
particularly visible.  I am not aware of anything at this point that
directly benefits my work or that I can readily participate in creating.

Maybe this means I am not looking at the bigger picture since there
are broad issues that ISA deals with such as legislation, etc.
Maybe it means that ISA needs to work on better on outreach to small
business and particularly neon.  Maybe I should ammend that to say
small to micro-business and individual neon workers.

I am certainly not opposed to a neon segment within ISA. In fact this
may be the best option.

Thanks for clarifying some of what ISA does do.

Kenny

> Kenny:
>
> The sign industry is a 3-4 billion industry.  The largest individual
> company is only 90 million.  The sign industry, for all practical
> purposes is full of small businesses (mostly family type) focusing
> intently on their customer base.  With the exception of two shows
> this year, I have attended every ISA show for the past five years.
> I do not remember a single Research and Standards Committee meeting
> where some area of interest to neon was not discussed.
> Particularly, the Neon Installation Manual is a significant tool for
> selling against the "fly by night" installers every one here
> complains about (poor grammer >;<)~~~).
>
> There is considerable discussion about becoming more precise in our
> processing, about certification for benders - why?  Because the
> viability of neon for signs is at stake.  National companies want
> contractors they can depend on to do things right.  Smaller
> companies dedicated to Quality want the measurement that
> certification brings.  UL wants to be rid of some hassles while
> getting paid for looking over installers shoulders.  You want to
> have an impact on the direction neon's headed, come join the group.
>

> Someone once said that you change or you die.  ISA (as well as the
> other organizations) is going to be involved in neon because it is
> an important part of the industry sector.  The choice is to be
> involved or not.  Remember that all that is necessary for evil to
> flourish is for good men to do nothing.
>
> Tim
> cent@interserv.com

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web