[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: color checker??

> This got me thinking, do not those little color checkers have only an
> uncoated flourecent tube
> with a special ultra violet filter? And is there not a way to make a
> purifyed little tube, and somehow fill only with mercury vapor, which if I

The "color checker" bulb is quartz, so the short wave UV rays that
activate phosphors pass right thru.  The filter on the unit's case is
just there to remove the small amounts of visible light - so the
flourescent glow is more pronounced.

The "black light" tubing will most likely absorb most of the short
wavelength stuff before it leaves the tube.  So I doubt it will activate
phosphors.

    -John