[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON-SGFP and Code process

Jeff wrote...

>I think the major flaw in ground fault protection is one I mentioned earlier:
>>What do do after the ground fault trips?

You can just tell him to flip the switch, breaker, etc. which supplies power
to that transformer.  No need to crawl up to the tranformer to press little
red buttons.  That's a misrepresented requirement.  Just disconnect the
power in any convenient way.

>The customer quickly gets sick and tired of his sign going out "for nothing"
> during the dinner rush, and he can't crawl up there and push that darned red
>button each time.

Okay, the thing trips for some temporary fault which is not
>actually a safety failure, just a temporary surge or a weakness. a false
>alarm.

Things have changed a great deal in the 5 years Allanson has been active
with Protector.  Circuit are a lot more resilient to taking brief spikes on
the input side or brief leaks on the output side.  If there's a trip now,
it's representative of a problem.  What's left to be resolved is the
magnitude of the problem.

One area where nuisance concerns are highest....water.  Okay so there are
times when moisture can't possibly kept away from all high voltage
connection (yeah, even though everybody says, keep them separate).  If and
when that happens...revert to plan "a".  Just turn the power off and back
on.  That should keep things going.  Eventually, though, the water egress
problem ought to be fixed.

Remember, this is going to be a learning curve for the entire industry.
There may be some frustrations.  People will have to do things differently.
That's what NEC wants.

Anyway, thanks for your interest, as usual.

And your concerns.

Best regards,

Eric