[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Tube benders Assoc.

<< Important to remember here is that other's are already attempting to do
 this "for us."

John, WHO'S TRYING TO DO THIS FOR US. Perhaps we should be working with them
right now.

 How would you like to wake up one day and find a new,
 self-appointed  "certification" agency for neon?  Complete with a set of
 standards specifying copious amounts of their favorite customers'
 components?

 I fear that if neon folks don't organize themselves - this alternative
 (already underway) WILL happen.

 And I agree, an enormous effort would be required to do it right.
 Impossible if resistance from within the neon trade is abundant.

     -John  >>
 Very important point, John.
I've been in the sign business all my life (second generation tube bender)
and I  have heard this idea come up countless times, anytime two benders get
together for the first time and talk about thier experiences.  The seeds are
there, I think the only resistance would be whose way is the best way.  Of
course there would have to be lots of compromising and sacrificing of ego.
 This would require people with special skills to energize and guide this
process while holding it all together and keep it moving forward.  This is
what I've seen lacking in past failed efforts of this sort.  We would also
need to offer a good answer for the bender whose business is doing just fine
without it and asks, "Why should I?".  After all, I think most of us
are benders whose businesses are DOING JUST FINE WITHOUT IT, but have a
vision for something better.

  So,  I'm all for it!  What about the possibility of becoming a " branch" of
an existing association related to our profession like ISA or USSC.  Drawing
on thier resources and structure and at the same time maintaining a degree of
independence. The " Letterheads" seem to be an organized bunch, how did they
get there.

                           TUBE-BENDERS UNITE

Absolutely, Tom W.