[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Tube benders Assoc.

This is very interesting and worthwhile. Yes, the internet may
provide the vehicle for communication that did not exist earlier.

I will be happy to allocate an area on my site to interactively work
on standards.

Kenny

> Just had a chance to catch up with my email, and wanted to respond
> to the questions concerning the "NATIONAL TUBE BENDERS ASSOCIATION".
>  The original concept was to try to create an environment that would
> help to connect its members through a set of acceptable standards,
> something like a union, although I strongly hesitate to use the
> word. Ideally, we thought that since our industry is primarily made
> up of somall shops, with one to five benders, that it would be nice
> to have a way for benders to measure their level of aptitude in
> various areas of neon manufacture. An appointed board could provide
> testing for interested applicants, which could give a measure of
> achievement to their skill level. The testing could be done in a
> variety of seperate technical aspects. (For instance: the bending
> test would measure a variety of qualifications on a given pattern,
> such as speed, accuracy, % of well executed bends, etc. The score
> results would determine the level achieved, such as Journeyman Level
> 1, or Master Level 3) With these credentials in hand, a tubebender
> would be able to have more credentials in seeking employment,
> justifying wages, not to mention the sales tool it will become when
> being compared on the open market by someone who is price shopping a
> neon sign. Once a set of standards are set up and maintained, the
> tests could be made available at the trade shows, on the regional
> and national levels. From here, the organization could maintain a
> database of tubebenders on file, for the purpose of providing
> information to its members on products, technical changes, legal
> influences, business management info,.........etc., etc., etc. I
> gues what I am trying to say is, the possibilities are endless. The
> main point here is that there industry needs to be able to create a
> system of acknowledgement for the various levels of achievement.
> This will allow us a measuring stick by which we can continue to
> grow, to educate ourselves, and be credible in the marketplace and
> to the public. Maybe an association would work better now that
> forums such as this list have closed the gap somewhat. I know, at
> the time we had some great intentions, but personal situations kept
> me from being able to devote the time necessary to make it fly. I
> still think it's a great idea, but I also know that, to do it right,
> would require a lot of energy. If anyone would want to take the
> reins, or jump in and help, I'd be willing to get invovled again.
> What does the rest of the list think?   Pat Meyer (aka Neonlady)

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web