[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Tube benders Assoc.

Agreed.

I think the most workable approach is not necessarily in terms of
technique, product selection etc.  We've learned here
that there are many adequate methods and products. Anyone who feels that there
is only one way to do something has much to learn. Nor should attaining a
level of certification be the be-all and end-all.  The main central
focal point I think should be an agreement on what benefits neon
benders in the long run.  Also, there are many owner/benders so the
employee-centric model of the 'union' doesn't really work.

An association with a steering committe that seeks to pull together
and solicit comments makes sense - maybe starting with the work that
has already been done.

Kenny

> > Just had a chance to catch up with my email, and wanted to respond
> > to the questions concerning the "NATIONAL TUBE BENDERS
> > ASSOCIATION".  The original concept was to try to create an
> > environment that would help to connect its members through a set
> > of acceptable standards, something like a union, although I
> > strongly hesitate to use the word. Ideally, we thought that since
>
> Important to remember here is that other's are already attempting to
> do this "for us."  How would you like to wake up one day and find a
> new, self-appointed  "certification" agency for neon?  Complete with
> a set of standards specifying copious amounts of their favorite
> customers' components?
>
> I fear that if neon folks don't organize themselves - this
> alternative (already underway) WILL happen.
>
> And I agree, an enormous effort would be required to do it right.
> Impossible if resistance from within the neon trade is abundant.
>
>     -John

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web