[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Tube benders Assoc.

I have always taken exception with the categorization of neon purely under
"signs" whether in the phonebook or trade association. True, I've
made many signs - but there's a whole range of stuff that we all do that is
not signage: Architectural lighting, special effects, wall art,
sculpture, scientific applications, etc.

Along the same lines, I feel there is a major difference between
running vinyl cutout letters on a Gerber (or whatever) and working
with glass and vacuum technology.  I don't mean to come off like we
are so special.  I greatly admire a skilled sign painter or a woodcarver, etc.
I think what I'm talking about here is handcrafting.  But also beyond
that, we (neon folk) deal with a lot of diverse specialty areas to
get one neon piece up: design, glassblowing, high vacuum processing,
electrics,  etc.

Not to put down whatever creativity is going on in computer vinyl
stuff (which I imagine there is to some extent) I just think that
much of the signage industry is oriented toward reselling mass
produced or machine produced product. the neon industry/craft is
quite different.

Kenny

> John Anderson wrote:
>
> > Lots of competeing products in the electric sign industry along
> > with neon.  Fiber optics, LED's, illuminated faces, translucent
> > vinyl, etc. Most of us have nothing to do will these.  Some neon
> > folks aren't in the sign business at all. Some overlap between the
> > two industries for sure, but I think neon's independence is
> > important.
> >
> >    -John
>
> You always can make different divisions like the screenprinters have
> here in the Netherlands. They have a sign division. Their slogan is:
> "The screenprinter is not only a screenprinter but a supplier of add
> materials". Today I received their magazine. The head streamer was
> telling me: The treat goes on. The chance to do something about it
> must be created by ourselves". Corcerning to the issue I never could
> make a better streamer for this issue this wek. Best from dirk a.
> boonstra

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web