[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: Tube Benders Association

Jack replies to querry

>>Where did you come up with these numbers? Are they just an estimate to as
>>how much income the association would need, or are they compriable to
>>another association?

>I think these numbers are comparable to other associations. It was my intention
>to run them up the flagpole to see if they would fly. Haven't heard any other
>comments.

I have served on the board of the Mid-South Sign Council, A regional association
under ISA for about seven years.  The year I was president, I thought that we
were doing things wrong - we charged a flat $50 per year for all members.  Our
staffing was all voluntary except for a parttime book keeper.  I thought we
should have higher stepped dues structure and a full time director.  As I
surveyed the other regional associations, I found out that most of the other
associations wanted to be more like us.  If you have people or companies paying
higher dues, they feel less responsibility to be involved.  An example, when
planning a regional NESA meeting for Nashville Tennessee, I would repeatedly get
phone calls from member companies asking what could they do - what could they
donate - Did I need xyz for the show???  Because dues were low, getting them to
comtribute time, goods, services, or money was not a problem.  Other
associations told me that the higher paying members would tend to take a
position of "I've paid my dues - go run your show!"

I would encourage you that an association gets far more value from participation
than from base dollars.  Keep the due structure low and flat.  I would almost
guarantee far greater participation than a staggered dues structure.

Tim
cent@interserv.com