[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: Hg Injector

> Has anyone purchased or tried the mercury injector from TFT?

Has anyone PRICED the mercury injector from TFT?  My distributor (Reece)
quoted me around $700.  That's quite a bit to shoot a blop of Hg into a
trap.

It's basically an auto-pipet.  These are sold in many shapes and forms
by places like Fisher and Cole-Parmer for the medical/phamaceutical
industries.  TFT's not engaging in a rip-off - those things really do
cost a lot.

Consider a high quality glass/teflon syringe.  Even a top of the line
model (much better than the one like Eurocom sells) is under 60 bucks.
Actually the Eurocom model works fine until it gets contaminated.   I
cleaned it with concentrated nitric acid.  You find out REAL QUICK
what's not stainless steel or glass... (it dissolves).  The lower body
of their unit is actually chrome plated bronze.  The needle itself is
SS.

Some of the nicer syringes (made for injecting samples into mass
spectrometers) have all glass/SS/teflon wetted parts.  Very precision
devices at reasonable cost.  Call a Fisher distributor, or Kontes glass
- both cary many brands and varieties.  A 24-26g needle is good for Hg.
Any bigger and it will roll out under it's own weight.  Any smaller and
it will shoot out as many tiny dropplets.

   -John