[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: ...tube life...

<< Question: Recently I had an assumption of mine shattered, regarding tube
 life: I can't remember where or how I learned it, but I've always believed
 large-diameter tubes will last longer than small-diameter ones, other things
 being roughly equal. I think I was told this at neon school (surprise
 surprise, if it's false), but according to Dirk it's not true. Has anyone
 else held / does anyone else hold this belief? Where did it originate?  >>

Hey Ted, I don't know where it originated but I've always held that
assumption too.
My untrained mind thinks this way; smaller diameter tubes generally run
hotter due to less surface area for heat dispertion. this much I know from
experience, the rest here is speculation.   De-gassing or shell deterioration
(or whatever causes a healthy tube to eventually expire), I assume happens
faster in a hotter tube.  If this is true it would stand to reason that a
smaller diameter tube, given that all else is equal, would have a shorter
lifespan.
Looking forward to more expert commentary on this.

Tom W.