[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: ...tube life...

Ed Wrote:
SNIP
>>  I would like to see a change in the common WF or window frame styles to be stocked in
>> 20ma instead of 30ma. I DO think tube life, not neccessarily an increase, would be affected. I think there are
>> more reasons not to load a 8 thru 10mm tube on 30ma than there are reasons to load it on 20ma.
>> Peace

Ed Replies:
The more I think about it the more it makes sence. Ponder this...you would not load
10mm on a 60ma for there would be far too much heat to disapate. Staining would be a
considerable problem if the HG unit were to be switched off for extended periods. I'd like to
back up the original thought Ted had and say that the tubes would not "pre-mature" themselves
on a lower ma trans. I am going to guesstimate that a 10mm tube on a 60ma trans will run
between 90 & 110*C.?. That would mean the temp inside or the temp of the gas would be
270 to 330*C...?...Sunk in further thought I can see that the coating would indeed last longer
on a lower ma trans. The heat from a lower ma trans may mean less absorption of light in a
coated tube, transfering into longer tube life...I derive this thought from seeing older green and
blue units, as they seem to fade in intensity.

Dirk Asked:
>Will you be please so polite to tell me which
>manufacturer was thinking that you with your small shop
>could order (and therefore sell) the XXXX (four Xsss) amount
>of transformers. I think these guys are destroying their own
>market

Ed Replies:
I can tell you that it was a supplier and not a manufacturer. I don't think it matters
to the manufacturer...if the bottom line is money. I could have stocked for me,
 at the suppliers expense, five of each size transformer of the WF style in 20 ma.
I would have one year to purchase the total number of transformers. That is 25
transformers over twelve months...not to hard to sell. This situation would keep me
 buying from the same supplier and save any UPS or frieght costs as in my current
situation.

Peace to all, and to all a god nite.