[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: Legal "rubber" boots

Gary,

Thanks for the additional info on the rubber boots.  I certainly stand
corrected on the Masters stuff.  I talked to Herb on the phone today
about outdoor installations.  He was quick to tell me "wet" locations,
but seemed less enthusiastic about "outdoor, exposed to the sun" (though
when I pressed him he did conceed on this too.

I can't help but be suspicious about polymeric HV insulators.  Here in
Texas, with 110 F summers and sub-zero winters it's a rough life for
most materials (take a look at dashboards here on 1yr old cars). Their
being flexible allows them to sag and fall against other parts of the
building too (like when a tube is broken).

I would also think the boot's water tightness would depend on remaining
a consistent shape, and fitting tightly to both the sleeving and 'trode
- things hard to maintain with such temp extremes.  Honestly, I can't imagine
how they got listing for such use.

But - I'm certainly no one to argue with an electrical testing
laboratory.  Anyway, thanks again - I sure learned something here.

    -John