[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- RE: 8mm Electrodes??

>SNIP
>>Exactly what do you use them for?  Small units of 6-8mm?  The smallest
>>diameter I've ever used is 10mm, and I use 12 or 13mm electrodes, figuring
>the
>>increased surface area will give me more longevity and a better processing.
>Am
>>I making another mistake?  Thanks for your input.
>SNIP
>
>If you can balance the trode conversion with the heating of the glass your
>doin' fine. I have had trouble
>with that in the past...wound up with staining in HG units. I contributed
>that to the ma needed for emission
>coating conversion. Using smaller electrodes that only require 300 ma for
>conversion works easier for me.
>In essance it is the same reason you don't want to put 10 or 12/13 mm units
>on 60 ma transformers. In
>my eyes alot of it is heat disapation. As far as using the 8mm trodes I have
>used them on 7/8mm glass
>with lengths of 4-12 inches. Some cases using a black box (15kv60ma trans?)
>for bombing. The units I
>made were used in a model of a shopping mall.
>Peace.

Yes, good questions. I use a lot of Tecnolux 6mm glasses for detail in our
art neon and art signs. For a better look, visit our Web Page at
http://www.neonexpress.com. You can do things with 6mm that are simply not
possible otherwise, and the colors are great. Now, the balancing of the
bombarding is not simple, that I will grant you. The requirements for heating
and current for the glass and the electrodes are virtually incompatible using
the electrocution method as it's been explained to me (sorry to keep
mentioning that). Most of you have to use much larger electrodes than those
necessary for tube performance in order to accomodate the parameters of the
bombarding discharge, per Dirk a couple of months ago. Here, we are going the
opposite direction, to smaller electrodes. We do this using the glass
"flamebroil" and RFI eddy coil heating method for these tiny electrodes.
Check out my recent message concerning how to make a tiny eddy coil to match
those tiny electrodes that will work even better than what I used to do.
Check out also Dirk's recent fill tables for small diameter tubing that
includes the first pressures for 6mm that I have seen.
What else?
Jeff