[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Masonlite Electrodes

Morgan Crook wrote:

> Dirk,
> the "operating currents" listed in Jacob's site come from the US Masonlite
> catalog - just like all US Transco / Masonlite distributors use.
> As we all know, there are many variables to consider both in electrode
> selection and processing, but Masonlite stand behind these recomandations
> for both blue and red gas.Reply from dirk:
Impossible! I will not make a hot item out of this, so I reply to your private
e mail adress. Using the same parameters for blue and red and telling me that
that is possible is for sure not true, and if one is doing so he makes a costly
mistake. Morgan you can do a test to be conviced about I wrote. Install a tube
with a 15/30 electrode and install it properly to a 60 mA transformer. I know
by now that that transformer will produce an effective current of 48 mA, so that
is within the maximum 50 mA. This electrode will run too hot within a few minutes
We all know that the optimum shell tempearture lies between 150 and 160 degrees
celsius and when the tube is filled with pure neon the temperature of the shell
is much to high. Another prove that my statement is right is when we compare the
cathode fall of a blue and a red discharge. Masonlite still says that the cathode
fall of a blue Hg discharge is 225 volt a pair but is 300 volt a pair for the
pure neon filled units. Where do you think that this 30 % more power is converted
into? Right, HEAT.

> 10.5 kVa), and new mA ratings (right David A?).Good for you all overthere.
>
> Finally, as I have said before, there continue to be changes and
> improvements in many neon materials - Masonlite included.
> (1990 was a long time ago)
> Cathode fall is still the same, nobody or no improvement can chage that as
it depends on the character of the rare gas. This proves my statement that
electrodes of neon filled units have a rate that is only 70 % of the maximum
blue discharge rate.
When I look to the brochure's of Tecnolux electrodes, SEFLI, EUROCOM
(neon products) ALMON (germantrode) and Wickmann Werke and they are all
telling me the same, I cannot beleve that Masonlite produced an electrode
after 1990 that can do red and blue with the same rate.
As you are convinced of the opposite I will ask the technical department
in Chatham for more information.

Meanwhile is signing with his best regards
from dirk a. boonstra