[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- eddy coils /induction heaters

On Sun, 7 Sep 1980, Frank Varnell wrote:

> >I keep seeing you talking about your eddy coil quite matter of factly.
> >can you share more info on this.  I have an induction heater that's
> >pretty good, however I am looking for others.  I have a coil wrapped
> >around some U shaped ferrites.  This eliminates have to seal the
> >tubulation through the coil.  Let's get an HF discussion going.
> >
> >Jacob
>
> How many turns? what freq? Dou you have the ferrite info?

I don't have this thing handy. I lent it to a friend in NC.  I will see
it again next spring when we do our "experiments in neon" workshop.
 Unofficial dates are May 27 to June 8 and June 10 to June 20.
At that time I'll put in on the scope.  Untill then I beleive it is
running at about 500KHz at about 50 Watts.  The coil is (I think) 4 wraps
of 8 gauge stranded wire.  The ferrites are four pieces if  1/2" round
(cross section) 2"x2" "U".

I tried to trace out the circuit once and found a few mystery
components.  The circuit appears to be two transistors in oscilation
dumping into a coil with a capacitor accross the output.  The coil has a
few windings used for feedback to the oscilator (Hartley Style).

I do have some very sharp photots of this thing if you want to examine
it.  I also have my chicken scratched schematic.  Wnaa see 'em?  It may
take some time to dig these things up.  Meanwhile maybe Dirk will help us.

Jacob

> Dirk,
> Is your eddy coil "gun" open like a U?
>
> --
> |      Frank Varnell                     |
> | personal email : fvarnell@sd.znet.com  |
> | work email:	frank@xlnt.com           |
> | work phone: 619-487-9320               |

Follow-Ups: References: