[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: transformer loading

> Eric, Dirk, etc. --
>
> Just to let you know that I've been learning a lot from the discussions on
> transformer loading...I used to think I knew a lot about this...would the
> ultimate check of an installed sign be with an oscilloscope on the HV?
>
> -Ted

Dear Ted,
good idea, had seen a pocket oscilloscope made by sinclair, England, with
a 1 inch tube and battery supply. Should be good for the job.
So voltage overloading, too high capacity etc could be detected easy, but
when you see the square waveform, it might be difficult to detect
voltage underloading (too low footage of tubes). For comparison, you might
take a two-channel osc. and compare the phase angle of the square-wave to
the sine on the primary. You can see at what angle the tube ignites, an
indicator to correct voltage loading.

But imagine standing on a 30 ft ladder with your old, surplus Tektronix
oscilloscope, handling high voltage and lab equipment in a rainstorm.....

Marcus