[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Glass Saw Dust

> Are there any materials that may be released from cutting the
>> > lead free and soda glass that we as tube benders should be concerned
>> > with.  Have any of you that are using the dremel tool noticed what I am
>> > talking about here?

Interesting question. I just mounted my bench grinder on the wall to a shelf
where I can use it more easily to sharpen my files. It's now just about 2
feet from my cross fires. To my astonishment, whenever I sharpen my files
now, I see the effect in the lighted crossfires, like a bunch of fireflies or
sparklers. This dust, which is absolutely invisible to the eye due to being
so fine, is clearly visible when it hits the crossfires. Being metal, it
lights up when heated to a high heat, causing a sparkler effect. You can't
see it, believe me on that. It also sets off the smoke alarm on the wall,
every time. This is a revelation, and I don't like to breathe this stuff now.
Also, now I know what it is I am smelling after using the grinder, that
strange metallic smell. SO what is the effect of breathing the dust off of a
metal file when it is sharpened?  Should we all use a dust catcher on our
grinders? Is there a buildup in the lungs? Anyone know this?

Jeff Golin