[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Glass Saw Dust

I have a crude guard on my Dremel made from 1/8" clear plex.  It looks
like a Helvetica "T", about 4" tall.  I held it above the ribbon burner
briefly to soften it, and bent the ends of the tee into a semi circle.
A hose clamp goes around the body of the dremel and holds the entire
thing in place.  Hasn't really caused any problems getting into tight
spaces.  Probably a good idea if you don't wear glasses.

In my case at least, we are talking about a very, very small amount of
glass "dust"  - the cutting wheel just barely nicks the tube, then a
thermal fracture finishes 95% of the break.

   -John

Reply from dirk,
We never use a Dremmel (I know what it is) or the glass cutting rotating
saw. What I made (and sell) is a small hobby bemch saw powered with an
electrical motor of 200 watt. You know the hobby ones. The procedure is
as follows: take an old HSS iron saw, went to a tool grinder, tell him to
remove the teeth from the blade and and make the angle glass knifes have.
Here it is your own homebrewed glass cutter for a few guilders. I made
several of these and sold them all. Every time we have a HSS saw that is
sharpened to may times and therefore has a too small diameter we rebuild
it into a glasscutter. Handy a cheap as these machines are perfect.
You only push the glass to the knife gently and there you make your cut.
The heat of the spinning knife we cut of the tube perfectly round about
of within two seconds.
Maybe Tom U can add something to the above for those I was not clear enaugh.
Best from dirk a. boonstra