[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Building a loading meter

Okay folks, from the "No Question is Too Basic to Ask" files comes the
following:

I'm interested in building a unit for determining "proper" transformer
nicely built by you-know-who) all had both a kV and mA meter as part of the
unit.  I understood the demos I got at the time and the general concept,
but I think it got lost in one of those water canals over there.

In a recent post, Morgan referred to determining loading with a mA meter.
So, is a kV and an mA meter required to do this or can it just be
determined with a mA meter?  I understand the mA meter is connected in
series with the unit, but how do I interpret the reading?  Say I connect a
unit to the mA meter and get a reading of 20 mA, now what exactly does that
tell me?

I recently "acquired" (hmm, wonder from whom) such a mA meter ranging from
0 to 60 and some hardware to start with, but I'm a little unclear still on
how this whole process is done.  A usual, all help will be appreciated.

(Yes, Dirk, here's evidence that I indeed came back with more questions
than I came over with!)

Tom U.