[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Building a loading meter

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Tom U. wrote:

> Okay folks, from the "No Question is Too Basic to Ask" files comes the
> following:
>
> I'm interested in building a unit for determining "proper" transformer
> nicely built by you-know-who) all had both a kV and mA meter as part of the
> unit.  I understood the demos I got at the time and the general concept,
> but I think it got lost in one of those water canals over there.
>
> In a recent post, Morgan referred to determining loading with a mA meter.
> So, is a kV and an mA meter required to do this or can it just be
> determined with a mA meter?  I understand the mA meter is connected in
> series with the unit, but how do I interpret the reading?  Say I connect a
> unit to the mA meter and get a reading of 20 mA, now what exactly does that
> tell me?
>
> I recently "acquired" (hmm, wonder from whom) such a mA meter ranging from
> 0 to 60 and some hardware to start with, but I'm a little unclear still on
> how this whole process is done.  A usual, all help will be appreciated.
>
> (Yes, Dirk, here's evidence that I indeed came back with more questions
> than I came over with!)
>
> Tom U.

Hi Tom!

I hope your meter is 0 to 60 MA.

1. Wire the meter directly across the HV output, turn on and take a reading.
2. Wire the meter in series with your neon load and transformer, turn on
and read.
3.Divide to loaded current reading by the short circuit reading. A ratio
of 80% or better is good.

Jacob