[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Building a loading meter

> Now the best of both worlds is performing both tests.
>
> Online Physicists, please offer your opinion as to the potential pitfalls to
> this method (if any) and please define G-Factor and mabey bare it's origin.
>
> Steve

Dear Steve,
The relation between the open voltage and the operating voltage is
called the G factor. The lower the g factor is the better the trans-
former will be operating as a choke for discharge tubing. One cannot
install neon tubing to a transformer properly without knowing the rate
between the operating voltage compared to the open voltage as all
your charts will only give you an average, so the only solution is
measuring it.

Especially when we install pure neon gas filled tubing we must install a
transformer with a low g factor as otherwise the transformer will
not be act as a stabalisor for the high voltage output in comparison
with current.
Manufacturers selling transformers with an output voltage as high as 15 kV to
people whose knowledge hardly reatches the level of a garbage collector, must be
procecuted, in my opinion these people must be exterminated as they do a lot
of harm to the trade, giving neon a bad name.

Meanwhile is singning with his best regards
from dirk a. boonstra