[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A couple questions...

 Al writes "- If using mercury with neon gas turns the tube blue, as well
          using mercury with argon, why is it *alsmost always* said
          that mercury is only used with argon?  I assume there's a good
          reason for this, I just haven't seen it documented anywhere
          why mercury is not used with neon, as a rule".

       I think Don Stone could say a little bit about this. Briefly in cold
weather the units would turn red. Playing with neon/merc is fun and it is
possible to to get the red and blue to stay . Two tone neon!!! I just started
teaching neon again (after 14 years) at a nonproffit glass studio Urban Glass
(formerly NYEGW) in NYC. The students are great and 8 out of 10 are on line
so the first assignment was to join us on the net. Another thing is that I am
teaching them with lead free glass. David Ablon