[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer loading

Dear Eric Johnson,
Reading that you are producing neon transformers with a g factor of 0,5 I have
the feeling that I must concratulate you and your company. A good neon
transformer must have a (maximum) operating voltage that is halve of it's open
voltage and we too often confrontated with manufacturers (at least here in
Europe) who thought that they were the reincarnation of Faraday or even Newton
and changed these basis parameters to an unacceptable higher level witch causing
only trouble and unreliable ignition during the cold period.
Being an amature winder myself with a Marsilly winding machine fromn Italy and a
small Meteor windin machine from Swiss doing a lot of experiments I must say
that I prefer a g factor of .45 till .48 (especially for pure neon filled tubes)
the most. These transformer are so extremely reliable under any condition that I
chose them all the time. But, .50 is doing very well as well.
BTW can you tell me on the list what kind of wire you are using ? B type, F type
or even H type? In my opinion, every transformer having a g factor above . 50 is
unreliable and is only misleading customers as the salesmen are telling buyers
that that transformer can do "more tubing". What the hell. Producing a
transformer who can do "more tubing" is so easy, and cheaper  to droduce, but I
don't want to have a transformer who  only seemingly can do more tubing. I want
to have a reliable one and that's always a transformer who is doing "less
tubing" with a low power factor (and these are the good one's) as they are
acting like a perfect choke (ballast ? you may correct me) prevending that my
neontube will act like the flashlight photographers normally are using in the
dark.
Best from dirk a. boonstra
I would appreciate the fact if you would send your comprehensive information and
catalogue to:
de blaecker bv
zestienhovensekade 33 a
3043 KH Rotterdam
The Netherlands
PS. In the statements I described above I was only comparing strayfield
transformers to each other, no other types, as they are acting ( I mean other
principles) worse in my humble opinion.