[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reg. Trademarks

        What does everybody do about registered trademarks?  I always get
parents - kids calling and wanting "Coke, Greenbay Packers, Chi. Bulls,
etc." and it is for private home use and when they hear the price, they
don't follow it up.  But I have had a person that wanted a "Harley-Davidson
Motor Cycle" logo and was willing to pay the price. Then he said that it was
for a bar in Milw which is Harley's headquarters and I passed on it.  Didn't
want the all the problems that might come up with it if someone from the
company office saw it and reported it.  What is the standard that others
follow about this?  Thanks..

                                                        Ron

My reply:
This is a good question. Can only suggest one idea, but interested in others.

Had to make a mock Kodak film can for an outdoor sign. Was interesting. Took
a barrel and clamped 1/8" translucent white sign plex to edges, then flame
heated it with my hydrogen annealing torch, bushy flame, slowly bending it,
and reclamping it as I went, to make a partial cylinder of plex. Took sign
vinyl and applied it, then backlit it with an array of white neon tubes.
Looks great.

City doesn't allow signs which advertise a specific brand name, so we had to
fake it. We used all the same Kodak colors, sunflower yellow vinyl and black.
We used all the same can design style features. The only thing we did not do
was to use the word "Kodak" on the can, we substituted "Gold" instead. People
looking at it swear it's Kodak, but there's nothing there that has the brand
name Kodak on it.
 In this case, however, it wasn't Kodak that objected, it was just the city;
Kodak was supposedly ready to approve it. I still get my color copies of this
bounced at Kinko's because they claim it violates their trademarks, until I
make them look more closely.
Other ideas?
Jeff Golin