[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid State Control of Neon Lights....

~ The Stamp is a great!! product.  What makes it particularly appealing is the
~ fact that it can be refreshed or reprogrammed via software (even modem if
~ necessary). There is also a company called Edwards which creates expansion
~ circuits for the stamp.
~
~ The memory limitation of the stamp provides a fun challenge for those who
~ like to write tight code.
~
~ Anyone have an interest in creating a circuit diagram repository over at
~ www.neonshop.com?
~
~
~ Kenny

Its great to see others with electronics knowledge here!  Sounds
like a great idea.  I'll put circuits there.

This brings up a question I have.  Has anyone "played" with neon
tubing being driven by a tesla coil device?  I have hooked up
tesla coils to flourescent lighting as demos - does neon act
the same way.  Since this is high-frequency transformer, other
unusual effects may also occur.

One can make a simple tesla coil out of a TV flyback transformer,
two resistors, two 2N3055 transistors, and 12 VDC.  You
simply wrap a few turns of enamelled wire around the leg
of the flyback, another wire set for feedback windings,
and energize.  Parts costs is around $15.00, and may be a
cheap low-cost transformer approach, especially nice if one
want to do elaborate switching arrangments - just switch
on a bunch of flyback transformers.

- Bruce

--
               Bruce A. Bowling