[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ovens.

        Jeff, thanks for the reply.  To continue:

At 08:03 PM 3/26/1996 -0500, EclectiKat@aol.com wrote:

>You probably missed my comments on this one when I introduced myself. I have
>not bombarded with an oven in my shop, because I have found that direct
>heating with a hydrogen bushy annealing torch, painting the tubes, is much
>faster and more flexible for a small custom neon shop.

<more detail snipped>

        Jeff, I see what you're doing here, but I've got a couple
questions:

- Do you really know what the ultimate temperature of the glass is, or
  do you just go by the flare?  How hot is the glass when the flare starts?
  Have you used a temp guage or other indicator?

- How do you know you've hit *everywhere* on the tube?  This would seem
  hard to me, but maybe it's not.

        I've got admit this sounds appealing, but I'm concerned with
the ability to control the process.  What are you doing to ensure the
tubes are always getting to proper temperature, they're uniformly
processed, etc.?

        Thanks!

        P.S., I'm going to be away from email for a few days, so it'll
be that long before I jump back in to this discussion.

| My aunt said spaceship guard was a good career         | Al Hooton          |
| for a young Vogon -- you know, the uniform, the        |                    |
| low-slung stun ray holster, the mindless tedium...     | al@teleport.com    |
|                                                        | 503.591.7324 voice |
|     "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Douglas Adams  | 503.591.7955 fax   |