[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Same old

 >>  Grounding the midpoint doesn't reduce the voltage, it merely
 "anchors" a mid-point, instead of leaving it floating. <<

 Didn't I say that? I know I write in doublespeak but at least some agree.

 >>   2. Intent\onal and major unbalanced - for example only using one side of
 a center tapped transformer since it was too big for the circuit.  Just how
much of a problem is this? <<

 This is why I said I prefer the floating ground routine over center tapping
unless you can make sure that the runs are pretty close to the same length.
That is usually not a problem with border tubes since they are easy to figure
out. But you are right. I don't like to see an imbalance if for no other
reason than the thermal aspects in the core.

 As I also stated, to be continued... we only scratched the surface of this.
Haven't considered the capacitive aspects or the affects of higher
voltage/frequency that reacts with same. Or core saturation, or how the stray
capacitance is in series with the magnetic inductance and can swing the 60Hz
phase, etc. It may take a while but I'm not going anywhere. Glad to hear from
some of the others about on this. I was starting to feel like a one man band.

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 20-Dec-1995